PCI smart card readers on Linux
Bart Trojanowski
2007-07-19 21:57:08 UTC
In May I wanted to know if anyone knew about drivers for a couple PCI
smart card readers I found in laptops.

http://lists.drizzle.com/pipermail/muscle/2007-May/006555.html

I didn't get any bites, so I thought I would try again.

Is it the case that no PCI-based smart card readers are supported?
Is the fact that these two are in my possession a rare and unfortunate
coincidence?

Cheers,
-Bart
WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/
Todd Denniston
2007-07-19 23:03:55 UTC
Post by Bart Trojanowski
In May I wanted to know if anyone knew about drivers for a couple PCI
smart card readers I found in laptops.
http://lists.drizzle.com/pipermail/muscle/2007-May/006555.html
I didn't get any bites, so I thought I would try again.
Is it the case that no PCI-based smart card readers are supported?
Is the fact that these two are in my possession a rare and unfortunate
coincidence?
Possibly.
I have an SCR241, that at one time we had working with FC3, but IIRC we had to
patch the kernel to make that one work. I think the patch was something to
make it look like the reader was connected to a serial port, and then you
could point pcscd at it. In the mean time we have come to the realization
that it is a lot easier to deal with the cord and just get one that works
right, i.e., uses the CCID protocol:
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid.html
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid.html#CCID_compliant
and some of them are only around $20.
--
Todd Denniston
Andreas Jellinghaus
2007-07-20 13:13:07 UTC
creating a smart card reader as PCI device is total overkill :)

today there are some laptops with build in smart card readers
that are connected via usb. those should work.

also at least omnikey cardman 4040 should work - pcmcia smart
card reader. also cardman 4000 should work. but beware: I only
tested the first, and the driver had issues when you removed the
device from the pcmcia slot (sometimes crashed IIRC).

in total: usb smart card readers work fine for everyone and should
be your preferred method, unless you have some real special situation.

Regards, Andreas
Bart Trojanowski
2007-07-20 13:43:29 UTC
Post by Andreas Jellinghaus
creating a smart card reader as PCI device is total overkill :)
I don't really have a choice in the matter.
Post by Andreas Jellinghaus
today there are some laptops with build in smart card readers
that are connected via usb. those should work.
That is my problem.

02:06.4 Communication controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 GemCore based SmartCard controller

Someone suggested that there may be a way to expose a serial interface
to userspace that would let the gemcore serial drivers talk to the PCI
device as if was connected by serial. I like this, as it saves me a lot
of work.... but I need to be able talk to the device first. A register
map would be great!
Post by Andreas Jellinghaus
in total: usb smart card readers work fine for everyone and should
be your preferred method, unless you have some real special situation.
In a perfect world you would have designed my laptop. However, TI made
this PCI SmartCard chip, HP used it, and I cannot find specs for it.

-Bart
WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/
Bodo Wippermann
2007-07-20 17:09:14 UTC
Hi Bart and all,
Post by Bart Trojanowski
That is my problem.
02:06.4 Communication controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 GemCore based SmartCard controller
I have a Dell with:

03:01.5 Communication controller: Texas Instruments PCI6515 SmartCard
Controller
Post by Bart Trojanowski
Someone suggested that there may be a way to expose a serial interface
to userspace that would let the gemcore serial drivers talk to the PCI
device as if was connected by serial. I like this, as it saves me a lot
of work.... but I need to be able talk to the device first. A register
map would be great!
Post by Andreas Jellinghaus
in total: usb smart card readers work fine for everyone and should
be your preferred method, unless you have some real special situation.
In a perfect world you would have designed my laptop. However, TI made
this PCI SmartCard chip, HP used it, and I cannot find specs for it.
I found a pdf data sheet in the web for the PCI6515 chip sometime ago,
because i wanted to write a driver myself, but i dont have the time for it.
if you dont find yourself a spec, i can send you my pdf via personal mail.
Post by Bart Trojanowski
-Bart
Bodo